Do you need a pallet for a project you're working on? Maybe you just want to create some new furniture. Perhaps you are starting a business and need to move large items. Whatever the reason, buying a pallet can be tricky. In this article, we will discuss where to buy pallets and we will go over the things you need to keep in mind before your purchase.
What are pallets and what are they used for?
Let’s kick this off with some definitions. A pallet is a flat transport structure that stably supports goods while being lifted by a forklift, pallet jack, front-loader, work platform, or other jacking devices. It typically forms the structural foundation of a unit load which allows handling and storage efficiencies. Your items are placed on a pallet secured with strapping, stretch wrap or shrink wrap and shipped off. Pallets are commonly made out of wood, but can also be made out of plastic or metal. The latter are used in a variety of industries, including manufacturing, warehousing, and transportation. Their wooden counterparts are also commonly used by people who are looking to create DIY projects.
The different types of pallets
Pallets come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Each type has its own set of advantages. You may select the most appropriate pallet for your project or current requirements based on your needs.
Wood pallets are strong and durable, making them ideal for heavy loads. They are also easy to repair if they become damaged. Pallets made of wood are also environmentally beneficial since they are manufactured from a natural resource that is replenished over time. However, wood pallets are not always strong enough to support heavy loads. This can be a problem if you are shipping or storing heavy items. Additionally, wood pallets can be damaged by moisture and insects. Being the most common type of pallet, they can be found in a variety of sizes. When it comes to price, wood pallets are very affordable and can be found at most hardware stores.
If you're looking for an alternative to wood pallets, plastic pallets may be the way to go. Plastic pallets offer a number of benefits over wood, including being lighter weight, more durable, and easier to clean. They are also waterproof and resistant to pests, which makes them ideal for food storage or other applications where hygiene is a concern. However, while some plastics can be recycled, others cannot, and this often depends on the type of plastic the pallet is made from. This can make it difficult to know what to do with a plastic pallet when you're finished with it. You can usually find plastic pallets for sale at your local hardware or home improvement store. When shopping for plastic pallets, be sure to look for ones that can support your desired load capacity and that have a smooth surface to prevent items from slipping.
Metal pallets are the strongest type of pallet, but they are also the most expensive. Metal pallets are often used in industrial applications where heavy loads need to be moved around frequently. They are also easy to clean and disinfect, which is important in industries where hygiene is a concern. Metal pallets also have the advantage of being fireproof and heat resistant. Nevertheless, they are not as easy to repair as other types of pallets. Additionally, metal pallets can be slippery, which can make them dangerous to use in certain applications.
4+1 Places To Get Pallets
Now that you know what pallets are and the different types available, you may be wondering where to get them.
- Warehouses and shipping yards: These places are often overlooked when people are looking for pallets. You might find tons of gems, and you might be able to get them for free. Just make sure to call ahead and ask if they have any pallets that they're willing to give away. And be prepared to take them as-is; most warehouses and shipping yards don't have the time or resources to clean or repair pallets before giving them away.
- Local businesses: If you have a local business that gets deliveries, ask if you can have their pallets when they are finished with them. Many businesses are happy to give them away for free or sell them cheaply. Be sure to inspect the pallets before taking them, as some may be damaged and not suitable for your project.
- Recycling centers: Pallets may also be found at recycling centers. Most recycling centers will have a section for pallets, and you can usually take them for free. However, the pallets available at recycling facilities might be in poor condition. And since they're free, there's no guarantee that you'll find what you're looking for.
- Online: There are a number of online sources for pallets. Social media marketplace sites like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist may have listings for pallets in your area. You can also find online retailers that sell new or used pallets. There are also a number of give-away websites or groups that allow you to find free items in your area. These can be a great source of pallets if you're willing to pick them up yourself. When shopping online, be sure to ask about the condition of the pallets and whether they are suitable for your project. Last but not least, keep in mind the delivery fees, since pallets can be rather hefty and expensive to transport.
- Produce markets: Pallets are available in great quantities from produce markets. They usually have a few different types available, and they're often willing to give them away for free or sell them cheaply. Just be sure to inspect the pallets for damage before taking them. Especially, when it comes to food pallets, they can be contaminated with bacteria or other harmful substances so make sure to clean them thoroughly before use.
Used or New Pallets: The Best Decision
Now that you know the different types of pallets and where to find them, you need to decide if you want to buy used or new pallets.
- Used pallets are often much cheaper than new pallets, and they can be just as sturdy and reliable. They can be found at most lumber yards or through online retailers. It is important to make sure that the pallets you select are the right size and type for your needs.
- New pallets are more expensive, but they will be in better condition and more likely to meet your needs. If you need large pallets, make sure to purchase them from a reputable supplier. New pallets should be stored in a dry place. This will prevent them from warping or rotting over time.
Finally, the decision to purchase used or new pallets will ultimately depend on your budget and the demands of your project. You will definitely get your hands on the ideal pallets for your next endeavor if you are willing to walk the talk.
Learn All There Is About Where to Buy Pallets With The Pallet Business
If you are looking to get into the pallet business, or simply want to learn more about them, we have the perfect resource for you. Our online Pallet Business Training Course is packed with information about every aspect of this industry, from finding and sourcing pallets to selling them for a profit. Sign up today and gain access to all of our expert knowledge so that you can start making today! If you are still not sure about it, contact us at and you will have all your questions answered.